Bay of Fundy Scarf – Free Pattern!

I finally got around to writing down the pattern for my Bay of Fundy scarf – a huge, soft, scarf/wrap that I whipped up on vacation while down east this autumn. Don’t be intimidated by the idea of a scarf on 3.5mm needles, the pattern is pretty mindless and easy (which is what made it a great vacation knit) and you’ll be done before you know it. If you choose the pattern can be easily adjusted to other yarns.

The pattern was inspired by the tides at the Bay of Fundy, as illustrated by my cheesy graphic: Go on and laugh, you know you want to.

It was the perfect solution for 2 skeins of TFA Purple label cashmere yarn. I was lucky enough to get my hands on 2 of her one-of-a-kind skeins at the knitters frolic this year but if you’re looking to match what I’ve done there is a colourway called, appropriately enough, Atlanic, which would do the trick nicely.

The scarf was mostly knitted at the Bay of Fundy, of course.

And the results are beautiful, cozy and wearable :)

PDF can be downloaded here.

Ravelry project page is here.

Feel free to email me with any questions. Enjoy!

12 Responses to “Bay of Fundy Scarf – Free Pattern!”

1. 1 Tanis December 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Beautiful Shireen! It looks so incredibly cozy.

2. 2 Cheryl December 6, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I was searching for a cabled scarf pattern for my daughter and came upon your Bay of Fundy scarf. I absolutely love it. I’ve downloaded it and can’t wait to begin it. I love the Bay of Fundy and was lucky enough to spend some time there a few years back, not once but twice. I and a teacher friend were doing research to enhance our Canada curriculum for 6th graders at our school (in Michigan). I fell in love with the maritime provinces and dragged my husband back the following year. We are now official “wanna be” Canadians. Every year when the kids study Canada I drag out my presentation and show it. I must have 20 slides of the Bay at various heights. It’s also great because I can bring in math and science. What a fantastic place.
    I usually don’t reply with this much, sorry. I just got excited about your scarf and the Bay of Fundy.

3. 3 shireenn December 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

Hi Cheryl!
    thank you for the long reply – I think it’s awesome :) I love the Bay of Fundy and the East coast and it was the perfect place for inspiration.
    If you’re looking for even more shots of the bay you can check out these posts:

If you make a Bay of Fundy scarf I would love to see photos of your finished work :)

Best,
    Shireen

4. 4 Hellopalz December 7, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Wow, thats a beautiful scarf, i wish i could knit!

5. 5 Malee Edwards February 29, 2012 at 9:46 am

Being from St. John, the Bay is my favorite place in Canada and I love hearing about others who are inspired by my “home town”…if you know what I mean? I love this pattern and will be making the scarf for sure. I haven’t been home to the Bay of Fundy in 8 years and I miss it terribly! Nicest people in Canada (I think so, anyway!), so friendly, warm and open, and some of the most amazing scenery…The Bay of Fundy is just a wonderful place and I’m really happy you both like it so much! God Bless you and I hope you go back and visit again some day!

• 6 shireenn February 29, 2012 at 9:58 am

Hi Malee!
      I love New Brunswick, and yes East Coasters are the friendliest people in Canada! I love Newfoundland and Nova Scotia too – my heart is in the East Coast :)

6. 7 Tracey March 3, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Came across your pattern from Pininterest, and thought immediately of knitting it in TFA yarn…..then to only discover that you did! It is a gorgeous pattern and the yarn compliments it beautifully!

7. 9 Joan Wright March 4, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Being a “true Nova Scotian” who lived about a stones throw from the Bay of Fundy I absolutely love this scarf and the colors are gorgeous. I am heading that way in June and do believe I will be taking this pattern along as a project while flying! Thanks for sharing something so gorgeous – don’t see these creations on the bald prairies!!

8. 11 Adriana Derry March 5, 2012 at 2:48 am

this is SO beautiful !!!

i have the perfect yarn for this, to make for my eldest daughter.

thanks !! :-)

1. 1 The Art of Total Strangers « The Blue Brick | Photography and Handcrafts by Shireen Nadir Trackback on March 19, 2012 at 11:36 am