That Was Horrid, I’m in Love.

Against all the advice I’d ever read, or been given, or even inferred through common sense, I decided to warp the loom on Friday night with what amounted to lace weight, single ply, handspun. This way lies madness.

©Shireen Nadir 2014

Tito only made it about 15 minutes before declaring a moratorium on Noro Taiyo lace weight. The stuff is a little rough, with the hallmarks of handspun, including thinner bits and slubby bits. It sticks to itself like velcro if you let it twist together by accident, but you can’t pull too hard to untwist it because it may just pull apart.

©Shireen Nadir 2014

We ended up losing one warp thread right at the beginning, and another one about halfway through the scarf, though through some really awesome luck they both happened to be at the selvage.

DSCF1550

The colours look nuts. They look like they could never work out, even in the ball. When you warp it, it looks like a carnival.

But then I started to weave… and oh my it’s lovely.

DSCF0012

Every 20 minutes it looked like a completely different colour way. It would look like this for a while….

DSCF1652

… and then like this for a while.

DSCF1557

And then it came off the loom and looked like this.

DSCF0009 DSCF0004

I wove very loosely, because it was so delicate, and also because I wanted the warp threads to show. The moratorium has been declared off – because I absolutely need to do this again.

DSCF0006

Here are the changes I’ll be making though – I’m going to work with Taiyo sock instead of Taiyo lace, (100g/462 yards versus 100g/918 yards) so I have something a little more robust, and I’ll be changing to a 10 or 12 dent reed (in knitter speak this means I’ll be working it to the correct gauge instead of what I did, which was the equivalent of knitting lace on worsted weight needles).

DSCF0005

I expect I’ll get a more tightly woven, robust piece from it, while still being light and drapey. This piece is very delicate, I’ve already managed to snag it on something with disastrous results.

DSCF0002

It’s undoubtedly stunning though. I’m in love, I want another. I used to joke with friends that tequila was like that abusive lover that you stupidly kept going back to. Now it’s Noro. Noro and tequila.

13 comments for “That Was Horrid, I’m in Love.

1. April 15, 2014 at 11:44 am

That is so lovely! I’m sure it was well worth it. I am working on a lace weight loom project also, only it is cotton and linen and I have decided to double the weft threads, so it won’t be as fine and spider silk thin as yours, but it is a fun process still.

2. April 15, 2014 at 12:14 pm

glorious colours….

3. dina
    April 15, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Shireen, You crack me up! I needed a laugh and a little window of light today! BTW the scarf is fabulous

4. April 15, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Your scarf looks lovely. Big sympathy on snagging it already – doesn’t that drive you crazy? It happens to me frequently and it’s so frustrating – seems to be the price you pay for wearing soft drapey wraps and scarves.

5. April 15, 2014 at 10:34 pm

OH MY GOD. That is so beautiful I want to learn how to weave. Gorgeous. Knitting delicate stuff is so brave. I have no idea what weaving entails, but it seems even pickier than knitting…would love to learn at some point. Totally, totally gorgeous!

6. Emily
    April 16, 2014 at 2:23 am

love!!

7. April 16, 2014 at 7:11 am

Noro and tequila… You make want to hang out with those guys more… Great results! Excellent work-to-glory ratio imho.

8. Deborah Howard
    April 16, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I love it!

9. April 18, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Moro and tequila sound like good vices to me!

10. May 31, 2014 at 3:44 am

Beautiful! As a new visitor to your blog, I’m curious what prompted Tito to call the moratorium. Was it colourful language from you or because he was working as your warping assistant and found noro too hard to work with?

• June 4, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Haha, it’s because Noro was so hard to work with! It sticks to itself and tears easily, making it avery tough warp indeed!

• June 4, 2014 at 4:38 pm

PS – his own language was too colourful to be throwing stones at mine ;)