A Christmas gift to my readers – the Man Slouch.

man slouch

pdf downloadI’d like to celebrate today with a free pattern for my awesome blog readers :) Thank you everyone, for making the Blue Brick such an enjoyable, inspiring experience! This simple slouch/touque is a quick, mindless, easy knit for both guys and gals, but really, it’s one for your man.

The Man Slouch ©Shireen Nadir 2012

Because, let’s face it; guys are picky. It can’t be too detailed, in a girly colour or contain un-manly motifs. Here then, is a base pattern for a very simple hat that can be worn slouchy or not, and dressed up in a number of ways for the more adventurous, from using variegated or self striping yarn to filling in the stockinette sections with your choice of pattern (seed, moss, lace etc.).

The Man Slouch ©Shireen Nadir 2012

The pattern is available for free on Ravelry – Project page here :) In response to the ambitious yet disorganized among us (including me…): yes, if you start one today it can be ready for Christmas!

However, and whatever you celebrate, I hope you have a beautiful holiday season :)

17 comments for “A Christmas gift to my readers – the Man Slouch.

1. December 23, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Thanks! It looks great.

2. December 23, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Merry Christmas and blessings of the season to you too

3. alyson noakes
    September 13, 2014 at 6:40 am

I’ve just finished the Man Slouch. I’m a beginner at knitting, and the pattern was raved about by all my friends, even my knitting teacher wanted a copy of the pattern. Its really easy to knit and the end result is cool stuff for all the blokes in my life. Thank you heaps for providing such a fab pattern

4. Jackie
    January 6, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I made this for a Christmas present for my neighbor (he’s like a son to me) and later told me it’s his favorite Christmas present! He has had people comment on it. I made it out of a variegated and it turned out awesome! Love this pattern!

5. Clara
    March 27, 2015 at 10:06 am

I love this pattern. My man is a big guy. He wears a 7 5/8 size cowboy hat. I would really love to make this hat. Will it fit him?

• March 27, 2015 at 10:12 am

Hi there! It’s a pretty forgiving fit, so I suspect you’re fine :) If you are worried you can always increase your cast-on number – I recommend swatching, seeing how many stitches you’re getting to the inch, and increase the cast on accordingly. Measure your guys head to get the right number, and don’t forget to swatch in the round because it can really change your gauge :)

• Clara
        March 27, 2015 at 10:21 am

Thank you! Do you have a cowl or scarf pattern that would go with the hat?

6. April 17, 2015 at 7:48 am

Would I be able to complete this on 2 needles – adjusting the pattern to keep integrity of the pattern?

7. April 17, 2015 at 7:50 am

Could i knit this using two needles – adjusting the sticches to fit the pattern?

8. August 19, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Love this pattern but I am confused about the reference in the main hat body section “to work 1 row of decreases as follows: Row 9: “K7, k2tog* repeat from * to end (136 stitches). Why is a decrease worked in this section and why do the directions refer to Row 9? And what is the Row 9 in reference to? Thanks for sharing this great pattern and am looking forward to the answers to my questions.

• November 2, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Ah, I see where the confusion starts :) After the ribbed section you increase at the beginning of the main hat, and you decrease at the end of the main body to bring you back to your original stitch count. The reason is because it’s a slouch, and the increases through the main body give the hat a bit more of a slouchy feel. Once the main body is complete, those extra stitches are no longer needed, so they are decreased before the crown shaping. Hope that helps, and sorry again for the delay.

• Valerie
      October 22, 2015 at 11:01 am

Mimi, Did you ever get an answer to your question? I was wondering the same thing.

• mimi barber
        October 31, 2015 at 1:07 pm

No, I didn’t.

• November 2, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Hi Valerie, Mimi,
        I apologize for the delay in answering Mimi’s question – I got married on October 10th and left for honeymoon right away :) I had limited access to the internet and have only just arrived back in Toronto.
        There is a lot to catch up on, but please rest assured that I haven’t been ignoring your questions :) I’ll look into it right away.