A new endeavour – cooking for diabetics.

My mom has recently been diagnosed with type II diabetes. Learning how to change her diet has been challenging, because so much of it feels like a list of restrictions. Other guidelines might have well been in another language for all the good they did us, (what IS a complex carbohydrate?!). I’ve been doing a lot of research on how to help my mom eat better, and to make it simple, tasty and flexible for her.

My research showed me a few things worth noting. One is that type II diabetes CAN be beat. When I say ‘beat’ I don’t mean that you can get your body back to a place where lots of coca cola and cheesecake are ok, but I do mean that it’s not a life long sentence, or a lifetime ban on sweet foods, or the inability to enjoy eating out. It’s about balance and not restrictions, and I’m hoping to help my mom find her balance :) it takes discipline and commitment, but it can be done.

The other thing I learned is that we could probably all stand to eat like diabetics. The decrease in sugars and processed foods, the increase in fibre and lean proteins… this is good for everyone. I am going to change my eating habits as well, not just to stand in solidarity with mom, but because it’s good for me too.

So all this leads to my new side project here at the Blue Brick :) I’m going to go on a quest for healthy, easy, tasty recipes and share them here on my blog. I’m no chef, so rest assured if it shows up on this blog then it must be easy to make. I also have to say this, though it should be obvious: I’m no dietician either. Complicated questions and in-depth discussions about your particular situation need to be addressed to your health care providers.

I’m going to start with deserts, because mom loves them and I want her to be able to keep eating things she loves. Enjoy!

~The Blue Brick ~

• 1 egg
  • 3 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Coat 18 muffin cups with cooking spray, or line with cupcake paper

Whisk together flours, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

Beat together the granulated sugar, egg whites and egg in a large bowl. The original recipe calls for an electric mixer on medium speed but I made do with my own hands and it turned out fine ;) Keep going until the mixture is thick and pale.

Add in the oil and vanilla extract. Alternately add the reserved flour mixture and yogurt and beat at a low speed until smooth. Divide your mixture into the cups, filling each one to just over halfway.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow them to cool before adding the frosting.

Frosting:

• 3/4 cup omega-3 enriched, low fat peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup Splenda
  • 1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk

Whisk together the peanut butter, Splenda and milk until well blended. Spread one tbsp over each cupcake.

Enjoy!

10 Responses to “A new endeavour – cooking for diabetics.”

1. 1 The Storymaster November 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Absolutely fantastic Shireen! What a beautiful way to inspire, share, learn and help beyond the personal spheres. Congrats on this new path, I have no doubt it will be immensely satisfaying and helpful for all involved.

2. 2 Gary November 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Please keep this going Shireen. Many of us did not know we can beat it, none of my research showed this. And it’s great to get new recipes I can eat. :)

3. 5 Rachel November 15, 2011 at 10:34 pm

In the medical field when we see type 2 diabetes we also recommend practicing weight cessation if needed as that can drastically cut down on the need for meds or get rid of it all together. Also check out coconut sugar, stevia and xylitol as other healthy safe sugar replacements for diabetics.

4. 6 Sharon Shepherd November 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Also watch out for vanilla extract, many of them have alcohol. I usually just use regular vanilla beans for baking.

5. 7 Gary T Shepherd November 16, 2011 at 8:10 am

Thanks Rachel, we’ll look for these. It’s great Shireen has posted this, I never knew it could be beat.

6. 8 shireenn November 16, 2011 at 11:14 am

Rachel is right; when I say ‘beat it’ I don’t mean that you can get your body back to a place where lots of coca cola and cheesecake are ok, I just mean that it’s not a life long sentence, or a lifetime ban on sweet foods, or the inability to enjoy eating out. It’s about balance and not restrictions, and I’m hoping to help my mom find her balance :)

I just got a great muffin suggestion from a friend, recipe coming soon!

7. 9 shireenn November 16, 2011 at 11:14 am

PS – thank you for all your input guys! It’s great to know that my idea has appeal to others as well !

8. 10 Hugo November 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Hey, great post, and right on the money. There is no “cure” that involves a “tolerance” for coke etc, and yet there is a cure that involves healthy eating and a normal pancreas with no need for medication.
    I have taken a number of people to this place, and I have found that, without exception, the determinant of outcome is their willingness to change. To lose the old, and develop the new.
    Cheers!